As a leading South African ambassador and one of the most recognizable faces in the world of sport, Ernie Els has long demonstrated a passion for excellence. His focus, discipline and commitment have led to extraordinary golf success, and these same qualities are evident in Ernie Els Wines. Through his many travels around the globe Ernie has been exposed to and appreciated some of the world’s greatest wines and in 1999 decided to pursue this passion for fine wine with the creation of Ernie Els Wines. Ernie befittingly chose Stellenbosch, the noble heart of South African wine to base his operation
- Winery Website: Ernie Els Wines
- Vintage: 2016
- Harvest method: By hand. Ideal dry and moderate conditions reigned during ripening in January and mid-February after which a warm period allowed even ripening and resulted in great phenolic balance The wine potential looks promising in terms of quality. Weather conditions during the harvest season contributed to intense red wines.
- Vineyard Yield: 2 tons/acre
- Vineyard notes: The Proprietor’s Blend is a blend of all the six varieties cultivated on the property. These vineyards grow on the warm north-facing slopes of the Helderberg region within the Stellenbosch appellation. All six varieties thrive under these conditions and deliver rich, full-bodied red wines. With an altitude of approximately 250 metres above sea level and the cooling influence of the Atlantic Ocean just 15 kilometres away, the ripening period is extended by up to 3 weeks.
- Skin Contact: 10-16 days
- Fermentation: In 7 ton open-top stainless steel tanks. Manual punch down 5 times per day
- Barrel Info: 70% in 300 litre French Oak and 30% in 300 litre American oak (50% new)
- Time in Barrel: 18 months
- Best Consumed: Within 10 years