Vintage Trade and Vinexx are pleased to launch Session 2 of our
VIRTUAL WINE TASTING ACADEMY:
A FOCUS ON SOUTH AFRICA
with Senior Wine Educator Aaron Shaw.
Join us for this online session on Thursday, March 11th at 7pm.
Discover South Africa’s world-renowned growing regions, and their esteemed producers.
As a wine-producing country, South Africa is in the midst of a renaissance. The passion, innovation and rapidly advancing production knowledge has resulted in clean, well-made, quality wines that are now the benchmark of South African winemaking. From casual sippers to bold, cellar-worthy bottlings, the diversity of wines emerging from South Africa is nothing short of amazing.
This 60-90 minute online session will provide a background on South Africa’s history of wine production, and highlight the diversity across the various “Wine of Origin” regions. You will sample a spectrum of wines of everyday value through ultra-premium, from Anthonij Rupert Wyne and Rust en Vrede:
• Anthonij Rupert Protea Sauvignon Blanc 2020 (Western Cape)
• Anthonij Rupert Protea Rose 2020 (Western Cape)
• Anthonij Rupert Protea Merlot 2019 (Western Cape)
• Anthonij Rupert Optima 2016 (Franschoek Valley)
• Rust en Vrede Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2018 (Stellenbosch)
• Rust en Vrede Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2016 (Stellenbosch)
Anthonij Rupert Wyne
Founded on the farm L’Ormarins in the Franschhoek Valley, Rupert Wines today encapsulates six distinctive wine brands, made from some of the finest sites in the Western Cape, South Africa.
Rust en Vrede
Straddling traditional and cutting-edge techniques, Rust en Vrede is known for its range of reds, from full-bodied Cabernets to smooth Merlot, Shiraz, and red blends that reflect the Stellenbosch terroir. The late Nelson Mandela served Rust en Vrede wines at his Nobel Peace Prize dinner.
The Session includes the following:
- 6 x 2 oz. samples of each wine, couriered to your home the day before the session. These include 3 premium wines.
- Expand your knowledge of wine varietals
- Become more knowledgeable about the wine growing areas of South Africa and their winemakers
- Have fun! These sessions are designed to be interactive in whatever communication style is comfortable to you. We encourage you to ask questions during the tasting, use the private chat function, or follow up personally with your instructor
INSTRUCTOR – Aaron Shaw studied winemaking in France and then worked as a “flying winemaker”, working both in Cahors, France and the Barossa Valley in Australia. Aaron won the Tony Aspler award for “Ontario’s Best Professional Blind Taster.” He has been a professor for the Sommelier program at Algonquin College for over 10 years and currently teaches the Vinification course. He also holds a Diploma and Instructor Certificate from the WSET program, London, England.
For the last 15 years, Aaron Shaw has been a territory representative for Vintage Trade in Ottawa, Ontario. His aim is to make these sessions fun and informative, and to elevate your wine experience.
DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION: Sunday, March 7, 2021. Cost: $95 + HST.
Includes 2oz. sample bottles of each wine and home delivery.
Outside of the GTA, a nominal shipping charge will be added.
As courses fill up, new sessions will be added. Stay up to date here.
QUESTIONS? Please contact David Thompson: email@example.com
To download the information sheet for the South Africa Virtual Wine Tasting, please click here.